No. 1 Prescott rallies in final 14 minutes to survive Knights

Prescott outscored Centerpoint 24-6 in the fourth quarter Friday at Wolf Stadium to protect its No. 1 ranking in Class 3A.


PRESCOTT, Ar. — Class 3A’s top-ranked Prescott made its own luck Friday night at Wolf Stadium when two defenders roughed Centerpoint’s senior quarterback Josh Lawson.

There was a little more than three minutes left in the third quarter when Lawson went out, and sixth-ranked Centerpoint was leading, 35-12. Prescott outscored the Knights 38-6 in the final 14 minutes to win, 50-41.

Both head coaches agreed Lawson’s injury was the turning point for the Curley Wolves.

“Josh was ten yards in the backfield and two Prescott defenders hit him in the knee,” said a dejected Centerpoint coach Cary Rogers. “Dillon (Fox) came in a did a great job, but we couldn’t overcome Lawson’s absence and penalties. That injury discombobulated the whole offense when Dillon had to move from wingback to quarterback.

“Even with all that we stopped their two-point attempt with fifty seconds left. Our kids were off the field and celebrating when a flag was thrown for a face mask penalty.”

Centerpoint built a 35-12 lead over Prescott with three minutes left in the third quarter. That’s when Lawson suffered a knee injury on a late hit and missed the rest of the game.

Penalties didn’t help Centerpoint’s cause

That controversial penalty led to three unsportmanlike penalties on Centerpoint coaches, putting the ball inches from the Knights’ goalline. Quarterback Carston Poole plowed over for the winning points.

Prescott (6-0, 3-0) added another touchdown on Jerry Glass’ 20-yard interception return with 15 seconds left. The Wolves were flagged, but it didn’t stop Poole from throwing a two-point pass to Caleb Harris.

“No doubt it was a turning point when they lost their quarterback,” said Prescott coach Brian Glass. “I thought No. 3 (D. Fox) came in and did a great job. We kept telling our guys to keep it a two-possession game going into the fourth quarter, and we’d have a shot.

“I think Centerpoint’s defensive line got tired, but their offensive line was still playing super physical and never slowed down. Centerpoint is a great football team. They’re well coached, disciplined, huge up front, and skilled enough to keep our big-play kids in check most of the game.”


Prescott back gains 173 yards in second half

Prescott running back Jaylen Hopson came into the game averaging more than 20 yards per carry. Hopson had 26 carries for 528 yards and eight TDs coming into the game. He carried the ball 12 times for 50 yards in the first half, but finished with 29 totes for 223 yards and four TDs.

Jacylon Zachery also had a huge game for the Wolves. Prescott changed to a Wildcat-formation on a few snaps and Zachery converted several third down plays with big runs. Eric Grigsby rushed for 42 yards and scored twice in the second half.

Centerpoint was the better team until Lawson’s injury. Its offensive line dominated as expected, opening big holes for Lawson, Fox and Jace Clark, who led the Knights running game with 96 yards on 20 carries. He had two touchdown runs, with Fox scoring three times on the ground.

The Knights finished with 219 yards on the ground. Lawson completed 10 of 14 passes for 157 yards and a TD. Fox was 4 of 6 for 22 yards. Both Lawson and Fox were intercepted once.

Lawson said after the game that Prescott’s trainer thought he had a bad sprain.

Coach Rogers said he had no idea how serious Lawson was hurt. Centerpoint will host Jessieville next Friday.